Friday, August 04, 2017

Goodbye to Ojai

It was delightfully cool in Ojai in the morning and I sat outside reading for an hour.
Later, I decided I'd at least approximate my daily Kimball walk; yesterday was the first in almost five months I hadn't done it. Drove into town and walked for a half hour or so. I stopped into the "New 2 You" thrift shop and saw two chairs that I think are identical to mine. I've been waiting to get two more, as I brought only four with me from Jersey, so I asked the owner if she would hold them for me. I'll bring in one of my own chairs today and buy hers if they match. She agreed.
I had parked down the road and when I went to walk back, I noticed a fire hydrant was being flushed and there was a river about three feet across at the curb. I had no intention of wading into it, so I asked a man about to drive out of a body shop if he would just get me across in his car. He said yes and when I got in, I asked , "You're not a serial killer, are you?" He said he wasn't, but they he read a lot of books on crime. I said I do, too, and he asked if I had read any Michael Connelly. I hadn't, but they guy said Connelly is a good friend of his and had dedicated his book, City of Bones, to him, my rescuer (John somebody). You can be sure I'll look in the library to get the book.
Got home and Nancy came at noon. I showed her around Ellen's house to oohs and ahhs and then drove us to Co' Marco, a restaurant I always liked. I actually ordered off the menu--a caprese salad--and we both had a glass of Chardonnay. After a leisurely meal, we went back to El's and I poured us each another. We sat talking until about 3:30, when Ellen and Greg came in. Said goodbye to Nancy, chatted with E. and G. for a time, then gathered up my things and went off.
Since I pass the museum on my way home, I parked and walked the usual. Boy, was it hot; I think 85. By the time I got home, it was almost 6:00 and I just jumped in the shower first thing. That was heavenly and, after a sketchy dinner of shrimp and spinach, I vegged out, was in bed by 9:00, and slept like a stone.

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...