Friday, February 27, 2015

Snafu

Not a bad day, but another snafu.  We walked in a kind of blizzard--lots of snow and wind, but we managed okay with umbrellas.  It really wasn't too big of a deal, except, I suppose, for those who buy into weather hysteria.
Did more of the forever job, then showered, dressed, and made up preparing to take Pat G. to lunch.  Barb was driving and I got on my winter gear and waited for her to pick me up.
And waited.  Finally called her at 12:10 to be told our date is for today, Friday, not Thursday.
This is the third time this week I missed an appointment by either the time or the day.  I was a tad concerned (I read Still Alice last year) until I realized the desk calendar I've been using this  year is configured differently from the type I had before.  For reasons too long and involved to go into, it seems easy for me to glance at it and get the day wrong.  Besides, it's printed in too-pale blue and pink, not conducive to easy reading.
As soon as I figured that out, I jumped in the car and drove to Staples, only to find huge calendars at huge prices.  Screw you,
I mentally told the store, and I drove to Target and got more practical versions for $4.99 each.  Now I'm happy.
Betty called and expressed great wonder that we had walked. Damn, I don't want my life ruled by fear.  Maybe because I don't watch television--especially "news," which includes weather--I don't get all het* up about it.  I check carefully--going outside to test it myself--and if I find icy or otherwise slippery conditions, of course, I stay in.  But today's snow--can't decide if it struck me more as pretty or annoying--was crunchy and perfectly safe.  Of course, by the time I drove to Manahawkin in the afternoon, the roads were clear and dry.
As I was making stir-fry for dinner, I heard scraping outside. Frank, my next-door neighbor, was clearing my front walk, although the service would be coming through soon.  I stepped outside and we had a nice chat about my coming departure.  He's one of the major ones I'll miss when I go.
* Hmm...I'm surprised SpellCheck doesn't recognize that.  I think it's a fairly common American colloquialism.

No comments:

Julie picked me up at 9:15 and we went to the BCNN meeting. The program. by the owner of Otto & Sons Nursery in Fillmore, was on growing...