Thursday, October 17, 2013

Hospital

Boy, oh boy, what a day.
It started off mundanely enough:  I met Betty for lunch at Saladworks across from the hospital in Galloway.  Enjoyed our meeting and got home about 2:30.  Went across the street to check in on Susan and found her looking worse than ever and still, she said, unable to eat and with pain in her stomach.  I suggested--but mildly--that she call the doctor again or get a second opinion.  She said maybe she would, but she had an eye doctor appointment on Thursday (today) morning, and a hair dresser appointment in the afternoon.  Now, Susan was in pain, couldn't eat, and had lost four pounds in a week, but she wanted to get her hair done!  Sure, I can understand that.
I left, repeating that she should call me if she needed anything. An hour or so later, I got a call from Joan C., a neighbor, concerned at Susan's condition; I told her what I knew, agreeing that Susan looked terrible.  Then, about 6:00, Susan's daughter called from Connecticut.  After talking to her mother, she was alarmed and asked if I would take Susan to the emergency room.  I went across again, persuaded Susan it was the right thing to do.  By this time, it was almost dark and I wasn't crazy about driving, but Susan remembered there's an urgent care office right at the doctor's where we both go.
Great!  I took her there and after about a half hour, she was called in to the doctor...   
OKAY, FULL STOP.  It's just too long and involved to go into all of yesterday and into this morning, but in a nutshell:
They weren't equipped for it at Urgent Care, so I took Susan to Atlanticare Emergency room, in Galloway, arriving at 8 pm; she was taken in to be examined at 10:30.  I waited until about 11:30, then asked to see her.  Tests were still going on, results wouldn't be in until hours later, so I said I'd go home and come back is need be. Susan gave me her key and asked if I'd check to see if she left the stove on, as she had rushed out with me after heating the parrot's dinner (no, it's no joke).  I did, nervously keying in the code to cut the alarm off, but she hadn't left the stove on.
Got home to find messages from Julie and Walter, called them and updated, then called emergency room, but didn't get Susan.  Finally did and she said a nurse lived in Tuckerton and would drive her home after shift at 7:00.  Went to bed, but couldn't sleep.  Got up at 1:30 and called Julie and Walter to give them latest.
Slept until 7:15, had coffee, went over to Susan's about 8:00.  No answer to bell or knock.  On a hunch, called the hospital and found she had been admitted after all.  Called Julie and Walter back, started off to hospital, then thought I'd see if she need anything.  She directed me to a satchel in her closet, her book and her cell charger, also asked me to get in touch with Marla H. to feed the bird and cats.  Did so, gave her my key (I still had Susan's), took the requested items to the hospital, visited for awhile, and went home.  Susan had said she'd call Julie and Walter.  I called the eye doctor and hairdresser to cancel her appointments.   
Susan had asked that I stop at Judy's to tell her the news, and I did.  Also called Joan C. and Barb H. and left messages.  Called Aline and picked her up at 12:15 for lunch at the Tuckerton Pub. 
Had a nice meal, but not-so-nice news from Aline: Her sister-in-law had asked that she come up to New York for the weekend and she was bowing out of 1. Players and Playwrights on Saturday and 2.) Cabaret on Sunday.  I was angry and hurt that she'd break a date we had for weeks and it was a  rather strained ride home.  I'll ask if Betty can go; if not, Louise or Leslie, but I feel not only exhausted, but rejected.  Oh, well, guess I'll get over it.
The insurance woman is coming at 5:00, but I'm going to try to take a nap before then.  I'm not exactly chipper at this point.

4 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

None of my business, of course, but: what was Susan's admitting diagnosis?

Mimi said...

Inflammation of the bowel. That sounded fairly benign to me, but now I believe it could be serious. She had been diagnosed earlier with a urinary tract infection, but had such pain in her stomach area, I (and others) found it hard to believe that's all it was. Now I'm worried--could be very serious. She saw a surgeon, and presumably, he'll operate.

iloveac said...

Is Walter on the way home?

What a day you had--- you're a good friend.

Mimi said...

Yes, Walter told me he's cutting his trip short and will drive home tomorrow. Thanks for the "good friend" comment, Pat. As I think you know, I have friends--Susan and many others--who would do the same for me.

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...