Monday, October 05, 2020

The Petrified Forest And The Painted Desert

 Up and atta 'em about 9:30 and drove 20 miles to the P.F. and P. D. I had had the idea that the "forest" consisted of--oh, I don't know, dead trees still standing that you just wandered among. 

Well, it's no such thing. It's a vast--everything is vast in the west--area with logs that, through geological forces, have been essentially turned to stone. In many of the logs, that resulted in beautiful crystal- or marble-like changes that we greatly enjoyed seeing:

(Here, I tried to include one or two pictures of what I described above and it just ain't happening for some reason. Will fill in later, if possible.)

This is a huge park, covering an incredible 50,000 acres. We trekked out a mile or two for some of the more interesting groups of logs and took advantage of a number of overlooks and viewing points. 

I liked seeing the petrified wood, but found even more interesting the configuration of the landscape: 


We stayed there for most of the day, then headed back to the RV, and dinner, and settled in. Today, we start off for New Mexico, home for two-thirds of us.



1 comment:

iloveac said...

I was in awe the first time I saw this..in 1961. I liked it more than the Grand Canyon which of course is magnificent. Thanks for sharing another trip in words and photos so we can once again enjoy it.

Monday

Washed sheets, changed the bed, showered and washed my hair before breakfast. Ate, then fussed around with this and that. I paid the water b...