Friday, April 03, 2020

Rent And The Roosevelts

After breakfast, I walked down Victoria, then went over to Von's for tangerines and shredded cheese, donning my mask and gloves before I went in. As for paper goods, they had exactly four very thin and beat-up looking boxes of tissues. It was an obscure brand that surely held an inferior product and it was priced at $1.99! Luckily, I have six boxes of better tissues that I might very well have to use for something else someday--eew-w-w!
As for the ConService bill, about which I expounded on Facebook, I'm pretty sure it's legal. I'm also sure FPI Management has a stable of lawyers to check and make sure of that. But here's why I say it's rent increase: 
My rent was a certain amount when I moved here three years ago. It was raised by $80 a month two years ago. I now get a bill for water, sewer, and trash removal. I never received a bill for these before last month, but of course, there's no question it was factored into the rent. Presumably, I paid a percentage of the total usage for all the apartments here. In other words, say there are 500 units here and the trash removal bill is a thousand a month. Wouldn't my rent include, say one-five-hundreth of it? Since rent remains what it was, isn't that double payment? I'm going to pursue this.
I walked out to get the mail which, incidentally, has been extremely slow, and met up with Michelle. We talked and talked for about an hour about the rent situation and I tried to explain the above. She asked for my phone number, so she can call me and I can tell her husband. What good that'll do is questionable; Michelle seems a little kooky.
Betty called to say how thrilled she was about "Byrnes' Beach" and I was so glad she had enjoyed it. Sadly, she didn't remember when she first got it thirty-five years ago. I was thrilled to also get a call from someone I love. El called later, but just on the phone, not Zoom. We decided to invite the other person to join us on Zoom over the weekend.
I had registered for a group called "Shut Up And Write," now virtual, thinking it was some kind of writers exchange or something, but it wasn't. Turned out that the leader, Hillary" simply called time on email, during which participants were supposed to work on their projects, then ended it after fifteen or so. Dumb and I dropped out.
I did something last night I haven't done for an age: watched the "news" on television, both local and--some of, but not all of--national news. I was stunned to find that, as far as I could see, there was not one single item about anything else but the virus. There must be some other activities.  Aren't we still slashing and burning around the world? Don't we still have an embargo on Iran? Isn't Venezuela still on our kill list? Aren't the criminals in Washington still stealing and conniving? Apparently not.
Later, I came across a Ken Burns PBS bio show on the Roosevelt families, both Theodore's and Franklin's. That was interesting, but it continued after 9:00 and I went to bed. I'll check to see if it will be run again or on YouTube.


No comments:

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...