Friday, August 26, 2011

Mike called on Skype and I enjoyed seeing him. He said Vivian likes her school so far and there are only nine in the class. Violet goes to nursery school right next door, so will probably stay there.
Betty was very worried about the thunderstorms predicted for the area, so she asked to come here. Also, her car window is stuck open. I said, "fine," and she came about five. I put chicken drumsticks in the oven, made a big salad, and added the onion, pepper, mushroom concoction I had done in the crock pot, and we had that for dinner. I moved my car into the driveway and let her park in the garage. (It's a two-car, but I have so much stuff on the other side, it holds only one.) To distract her, I had gone to the library and rented Punchline, an old Tom Hanks movie, and we watched that after dinner. It did, indeed, rain and we had some lightning and thunder, but nothing else.
Was pleased to get a web cam call from the other son. P. and N. were solicitous about, but mildly amused by, our "earthquake experience" (although we didn't feel it), considering the kind they have to deal with.

1 comment:

iloveac said...

I don't know that I'd be all that concerned about thunderstorms, but a hurricane with a high probability of causing major damage would be wise to avoid. Ventnor is on a barrier island. Irene is being compared to the hurricane of '44 which I remember well. We had 12" of water in our low lying inlet house at the time. As a 5 yr old I loved it. As an adult I'd feel differently.
I believe most of the hype is a result of the problems following 'Katrina'.
Before TV the only way we knew about bad storms was to check the flags at the Coast Guard Station visible from our neighborhood. Still, it was scary watching them change.
Being without power is a huge inconvenience whether it's from a tornado, hurricane, or earthquake. We lived in Pensacola (Gulf coast of FL) with hurricanes a common visitor....we were fortunate to suffer inconvenience only...others lost much more.
You missed out on feeling the earth shake...makes one acutely aware of the folks living in CA in Japan.

Saturday

Instead of taking my usual sandwich when I meet Diane for lib lunch, I made a salad. Walked over the footbridge, dropped the book off at the...