Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The annoying weather turned cooler again--I'm anxious for real spring, meaning warm, then summer, meaning hot. At least it didn't rain.
Picked up a few items at Wal-Mart while Pat slept, gnashing my teeth at the intolerable televisions blaring at the checkouts.
Met A. in Barneget at 4:00 and we took an invigorating 3-mile hike along the new "rail trail" there. Was pleasantly surprised to get a web cam call from the Tokyo Two to wish me a belated Mother's Day. Aside from that, just the usual, but it was a good, satisfying day.
Heard via e-mail from a person who commented on one of my blogs and I'm interested in pursuing this new acquaintance. I won't get any more specific than that, for reasons of privacy. Also heard from another postcard collection who saw my ad on Craig's List. Not sure if I have what he collects--pre-1940 Dover, Delaware, for instance--but will check.
Wider: At the end of a piece on the suffering our military actions are inflicting on children, Chris Floyd on "Empire Burlesque" writes:
"[In] these heated debates on policy, strategy, funding, etc. [of the Terror War], there is always a danger of losing sight of the most overwhelmingly important aspect of the conflict: its effects on actual human beings, the suffering it imposes on our fellow creatures. The reality of war is written on the bodies – and seared into the anguished psyches – of the individuals who experience it. That is what war is, that is where it actually exists – in blood, in bone, in the synapses that carry the electric fire of human consciousness."
Oh, yes. To our everlasting shame.

No comments:

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...