Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Jumping And THE DAY

Thought things would quiet down, but they're still jumping, just the way I like them.  Betty called early and asked if I could meet her at Italian Gourmet for lunch.  Absolutely, positootly!  Said I'd bring Aline, called her, and she was in. 
Went first to the library for their book sale--for once, I wanted to get in on the first day--and bought a bag full.  Saw Jo G. there and gave her and another woman flyers for You Can't.
Picked up Aline and we met up with Betty.  Had a good lunch and even better talk, especially after Carole Wimberg C. showed up.  We talked about my having Betty and Carole over next week and I'll arrange that soon. 
With Aline in tow, stopped at the book sale again on the way home.  Yoicks, I bought another bag of books!  For heaven's sakes, I have a stack of formerly-bought and not yet read ones in the bedroom, plus I'm deep into two others from the library.  Dunno when I'll ever get to them.
Dropped Aline off, and walked in my door to hear a message from nephew Tim W., asking if we could meet for lunch today.  He lives in Vermont, but is vacationing in Cape May.  Naturally, I called him back and said yes, then called Betty, and we decided to meet at the Smithville Inn at noon.
Grabbed a bite, then picked up Aline and went to rehearsal.  We again concentrated on act two, the only one I'm in.
It went a bit better than before, but was still nowhere as smooth as it has to be in (gasp!) four weeks, when we open.  Hardly anybody is off book and there are lots of problems with blocking.  We actually did it twice, so after dropping off Aline, I didn't get home until almost ten.
No prob, as I had told Susan I wouldn't walk so I could be early to get my (routine) blood test.  I'm glad I went because I met an interesting woman named Nancy Speck, who knows a new resident of Sunrise Bay.  Nancy gave me her name and I'll call her to do a profile for the November issue.
WIDER:  The usual orgy of "remembrance" of 9/11 went on yesterday, of course.  It was replete with the "never forget" mantra, which always seems to me a sinister admonition, cloaked as it is in nationalistic piety.  It vaguely suggests, I think, that anything we do in retaliation, any horrors we inflict on people in other countries, any cruelties we can devise, are justified, even if those people we continue to kill and maim had nothing to do with The Day.
I celebrate 9/11 because my darling daughter, Ellen, was born on that day.  Aside from that, my recommendation to others is: Forget.   
WIDER STILL:  This says it so much better:
http://tinyrevolution.com/mt/

3 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

Never forget ... that history began on 11 September 2001. Nothing happened before that day. At least, nothing that any good Amur'kin would ever allow to enter his or her thoughts.

Yep, we was jes' a-mindin our buzness when, outa nowheres, them Ay-rab Mooslums jes' commenced to destroyin' our buildin's an a-killin' on us an' ever-thing. Never knowed the like of it, I ain't!

Mimi said...

Ha, ha, Jim--did you ever live in the deep South? Believe me, some Jersey residents could top that, and with 'dese and 'dose added. I wonder if March 19 will receive as much sorrowful attention.
I thought Chris Floyd's piece was just about perfection.

Mimi said...

I meant Jonathan Schwarts, not Chris Floyd, but he's one of my favorites, too.

Friday

Weight: home down a pound to 124.4; T.O.P.S., down .03 to 125.2, so okay. The meeting was the usual: therapy session and general chat for mo...