Saturday, September 07, 2013

LBI

LBI (Long Beach Island) is getting to be one of Aline's and my favorite places.  She called early and we made a impromptu date to view the southernmost point after, of course, lunch.  Picked her up at our usual 12:30 and we drove the fifteen or so miles down.  We like to go to restaurants where we hadn't been before, so chose Fred's Diner.  The food wasn't bad--liverwurst and onions for me--and it has the virtue of being fairly cheap.  After, we went to Holgate on a brilliantly sunny, but not terribly hot, day.  I had two beach chairs in the trunk and we set those up in preference to the benches thoughtfully provided by the town.  What a pleasure!  The ocean displayed its wonderful color: deep, deep blue shading into a translucent green, and capped with pure white breakers near the shore.  Eat your heart out, Westerners!
We stayed until 4:30 and I took a multitude of pictures with my new camera.  However, the truly spectacular water display doesn't happen until high tide, and we made plans to go back next week.  We'll have dinner first at The Flying Dutchman, a restaurant which I've been wanting to try, then go on to Holgate at dusk.  Had an e-mail message from Leslie when I got home and I wrote back inviting her to join us.
Soon after I got home, I was delighted to get a Skype call from Mike and the adorable little girls.  Vivacious Vivian showed me several "filmstrips" she had made and, as usual, was bouncing around the room with glee.  Didn't see a lot of Violet, who was watching a movie in the other room, and some time I'd like to interact with her alone.  Mike showed me the incredible views of Singapore from several of their fifteenth floor windows. 
Today, Julie S. and I are going to Our Town auditions at Surflight.  Neither of us are very confident we'll be chosen, but hey--nothing ventured, nothing you-know-what.   

No comments:

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...